|(314) 962-0593 | 440 Forest Green Dr., St. Louis, MO 63119
email@example.com | knelsonmedia.com | twitter: @knelsonmedia
Profile available on linkedin
Writer, editor, photographer, blogger, social media activist and instructor, always in search of novel ways to challenge myself and inspire others.
|• Content creation for print and digital platforms
• AP Style
|• Editing for print and digital platforms
|• Creation and editing of print and digital products on tight deadline||• Course design and instruction at the junior high, high school and college levels||• Twitter, Facebook, flickr
• Blogger, WordPress
• InCopy, TownNews TCMS
|Washington University Law School||Jan. 2016-present|
• Report, write, edit and photograph news and feature stories about faculty, staff and news events for the print and digital publications of at Washington University Law School, ranked in the top 20 in U.S. News and World Report annual rankings.
• Create programs, brochures, postcards, e-newsletters and reports using InDesign.
|Catholic Health World||Sept.-Dec. 2015|
Reporter, Associate Editor
• Report, write, edit and photograph news and feature stories about members of the Catholic Health Association, comprised of more than 600 hospitals and 1,400 long-term care and other health facilities in all 50 states.
|St. Patrick Center||July 2013 – June 2015|
• Provide updates of social media sites: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn.
• Upgraded web site using WordPress platform.
• Provide on-camera and live interviews to radio and TV outlets.
• Write, photograph and promote agency success stories of clients who have overcome homelessness to lead productive lives.
|St. Louis Post-Dispatch||Sept. 1981 – Feb. 2013|
Columnist, Reporter, Copy Editor, Section Editor
• Supervised, edited and designed sections as various as travel, health and fitness, fashion, food and sports.
• Photographed vacation destinations as travel editor and writer, later adding a few sports assignments.
• Composed headlines and edited stories for clarity and accuracy as a copy editor in news (1981-83), features (1989-1996) and sports (1983-89 and 1996-2013).
• Column topics veered off the traditional path to cover such sports as cycling, running, swimming, gymnastics and tennis.
• Covered Rams football and the NFL from 1999 to 2013.
• Experience with WordPress, Blogger, Twitter, Facebook, InCopy, InDesign, content management systems.
|Washington University in St. Louis June 1991-|
• Designed and implemented a course in sports writing that I taught from 1991-1993. Earned kudos from students for novel approach to content and mastery of Blackboard.
• Designed and implement a travel writing course in 1994.
• Returned to retool the sports writing course to include digital and social media, beginning in Fall 2011.
|STORIES AND ON-CAMERA INTERVIEWS|
Interview with Christine Buck about St. Patrick Center on “Afternoons on 11”
Army vet finds a home after overcoming addiction, homelessness
Blues hat trick hats find a second home at St. Patrick Center
GO! Marathon is a blessing for a bishop
After beating cancer, Serena Burla makes her marathon debut
Giro d’Italia winner Ryder Hesjedal also calls St. Louis home
Winding road leads home for Munir Prince
The Blues’ Jaden Schwartz cheers for his biggest fan, his sister, Mandi
Washington University welcomes back coach’s wife
MU kicker Grant Ressel lets go of his big moment
Runner’s helping hand makes a big impact
Principal donates equipment from cancelled sports programs to school that suffered a fire
SEMO pitcher gains perspective after losing sight in baseball accident
A rare first-person tale of my life as a running pick-up artist
Business and legal experts give up a weekend to share expertise with Wash. U. students
|HONORS AND AWARDS|
U.S. Olympians, MO-IL Chapter
2007 National Federation of Press Women Quest Award
Presented for distinguished achievement in communications, writing sports columns in a profession dominated by men.
|• USA Today
• Terrain Magazine
• Mercy Health
|• Catholic Health Association
• St. Louis Public Radio
• Catholic Health Initiatives
|• St. Louis Sports Commission
• Washington University
• St. Louis Review
Secondary education, English, Language Arts
|University of Missouri-Columbia||1981|
Bachelor of Journalism in News-Editorial, Bachelor of Arts in Theatre
|English and Language Arts, Grades 6-12||2009|
Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, Certificate No. 0443146
Reid Laymance, Deputy Sports Editor, Houston Chronicle
Wayne Zade, Professor of English, Westminster College
Mike Smith, Online Sports Editor, stltoday.com
Tom Etling, Partner at Dovetail Communications, former CEO at St. Patrick Center